May 31, 2010 |

Attitude With A Side Of "I Only Love Daddy Today"

Ever wonder how no one notices how much effort you put in to the little things?  How the favourite jammies are always clean and waiting for bedtime? how I always know where to find that AWOL Barbie shoe, and I know just how thick to spread the peanut butter so that you will actually eat ( sorry dad, there is a technique ) 
   I can calm your fears, soothe an Owwie, and love you with no conditions.  I do believe the name for this is Mom, though it should be "lady who is unappreciated by her children" or possibly "phantom doer of all things". 
    This mom job is by far the hardest job out there....for those of you without kids, you can take my word for it.  I get up too early, feed, dress and clean the kids, rush from school to grocery store to activity, feeding and cleaning the kids again in the car as we go.  I do laundry, dishes and vacuuming daily.  I scrub toilets, wash floors, and wipe counters without blinking an eye.  I fold, I fluff, and tidy messes I didn't make.  I cook meals that sometimes won't be eaten even though last week it was the best thing ever.  I kiss you good night, and cuddle when I have the energy.  I say "I love you" regardless of the things that any other people in the world could do to make me hate them.
   I sometimes yell, I am sometimes yelled at.  I think I sometimes hurt feelings, I sometimes have my feelings hurt.  I hug and kiss, the best things in my life as often as possible ( though it's still not often enough ).  I try to listen, through the roar of playful giggles, sad tears, and cartoons, though maybe I'm not really taking it all in.    
   In my rush to do it all, I am sure I am missing something.  Did I miss an important milestone because I was scrubbing a toilet?  Did I miss hearing "I love you Mommy" because I was too tired to pay attention?  Did I lose a chance to say or do something to make my kids lives better because I was worried that other people would think my house was messy or that I wasn't good enough at this mom thing?  Probably, and one day when I'm old and grey and my kids have lives of their own, I'm sure I'll reflect on all the woulda, coulda shoulda moments that I didn't take.
   Everyday with my kids is a good day, even when we yell and need time outs, and even when they say "I only love Daddy today"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Super Mom!

Post a Comment

a mom blog community!